Friday 15 June 2012

Billie Jean inspiration


Billie Jean Nike Promotional advertisment
This is an Advert poster that is done by a famous illustrator called Billie Jean and it's seems to be in a style of 'Controlled' messy where, he knows where he wants to put everything so that it looks like it was done randomly but, it could have been planned that way so that different people see different things in the picture at any one time so that they can see what stands out the most. There are many different icons in this picture that could represent many different areas where this shoe could have been sold. Also, another icon is doing a drawing in Biro ink, which makes the poster more aimed at Teenagers who wear branded items, such as Nike, who randomly doodle all over the pages that they could be given at School/ College/ University and like to create their own pieces of work that could mean one specific thing to them but to others who look at it, see a totally different image because of the what the person looking at the poster looks at first. Clearly in this poster we see the Shoe first because even though it is not in the middle of the page, it is the biggest drawing on the page and the darkest, making it the main focus of the advert.


The word 'Vandal' written in block letters with a bold background also is the next thing to stand out to the viewers eye because of how the word 'Vandal' can relate to the badness of how teenagers can act when defacing property and this just helps prove that this poster is for them because the poster is basially vandalizing a piece of paper that could have belonged to someone else, if it was in school and the paper was given to you by the teacher etc. This is just one meaning that could come from the word itself, but there are many that are present with the word 'Vandal.' Because, when doing my research, I found that it was a campaign that Billie Jean participated in, possibly in 1985 which is stated underneath the word 'Vandal'. 


The images surrounding this shoe, are major elements because it helps define the target location of the poster. For example, the use of the 'Peace' Sign at the bottom looks like to be a emoticon that is used in conversations or online social network and the main place for conversation/ Social networking is in the Urban City and not in the Rural Countryside.  Also, the many basketballs are placed all over the page, and this could signify that the sport is played all over and generally in places of busy pedestrians or teenagers with an interest in basketball, there would be a basketball court open to them and that is generally in the City. An idea that it could be British aimed, but we have no proof, is that the 'Peace Sign' is facing the wrong way to be American because in America, their 'Peace Sign' is the way that in Britain means swearing to one another. Also, we can see the fingers in the 'Peace Sign' and therefore relate that to British Isles instead of America where basketball is generally played.


This leads me onto the next point is that this poster could also promoting the sport in Britain because instead of Football being the leading sport in many peoples lives, basketball could become another watched/ played sport in Britain and therefore wanting to help people get into the basketball community with a new pair of shoes that look sporty enough to play basketball and still look fashionable.


My opinion on this piece of art work is that it's interesting to look at and see what meanings I can dig out of this poster but I personally wouldn't go and buy them because they aren't for me because I generally don't play sport but I know people who could go and buy them because of the way they look. I think that the art work is unique because many artists wouldn't want to do a 'Controlled' messy look for the artwork and they would prefer their work to be in order. I would consider doing a similar thing to this if I had the confidence to just place things wherever and outlined things that I want to stand out.








My idea done in the style of Billie Jean using pencil
This is my version in the style of Billie Jeans work. I did it all free hand and in Pencil because I don't like working in Biro or ink because it can get messy because sometimes when I brush my hand over the work it smudges and then I feel bad because I've just messed up something that could have looked really nice and good on the piece of paper. I used song lyrics of a few artists that I could use (Ed Sheeran - Drunk, Justin Beiber - Boyfriend etc) and I feel that using the song lyrics and load of differently drawn images relating to music itself created a nice effect and I tried using a similar effect of Billie Jeans writing when writing music, drawing in box-style to create this 2D look for writing.

If I was to do this exercise again, I would use a smaller piece of paper to give me less space to work with instead of a big space that I need to fill. Also, I could then try to overlap some images to give the 'controlled' messy look that Billie Jean has managed to create in his advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment